My First Professional Organizing Job

Over the past several years I've been driving my aunt crazy and making her giddy at the same time. Every time I'm at her house I find some other area that is too cluttered or just doesn't make sense. My arch nemesis is actually her kitchen. It's very small, and the woman cooks like her life depends on it so she has thousands (just barely an exaggeration) of different pots/pans/small appliances/cooking utensils/FOOD STORAGE CONTAINERS and dishes. I've reorganized and decluttered this area and both "food" (and medicine, and papers and whatever else gets shoved in there) pantries countless times. We're from the South, so if a can is only a year or so out of date, you'd better just leave that in there. It's still good. 😑
Her house has been my main and most consistent practice.


I used to alphabetize my CDs & DVDs. Can't relax if a space is too cluttered or messy. That kind of stuff. lol


Just gonna say right here that about 12 years ago I was diagnosed with "mild" OCD.
Someone recently asked me who they had to thank for my exceptional organizing skills & I just replied, "trauma" & laughed. 🤷 That's that on that.


Moving right along


One day it hit me (a coworker standing in my office door stared right at me & watched that collision) that instead of just being good at fitting life into awkward places and making it work, I should use it to help others do the same.


When I made the decision to become a professional organizer I knew the first thing I needed were clients.... and testimonials....a portfolio....
It's like having to spend $100,000 and years of your life to obtain a piece of paper that says you know how to do what you've been doing the majority of your life just so people will take you seriously. Yep, did that too.


So a friend of mine had just moved & her closet had "some" shelving, no rods, & the dryer had to be put in there because the only space to accommodate washer/dryer was for stackable units. There also was no real storage space such as an attic, extra closet (that had the water heater & HVAC ducts in it), etc.
With the passing of her mother she had inherited a ton of makeup and skincare products, some clothes, and other items.
And she was just exhausted.


As a housewarming gift & in exchange for before & after photos, I hooked her up.





BEFORE

             


                  







AFTER








                                             

We started by purging unwanted items, then her husband reinstalled the shelving that had previously been taken down. We then assigned clear bins for important paperwork, her mother's
things, and extra holiday decorations and labeled them using the Brother P-Touch Cube wireless label maker. Since they're items that aren't regularly accessed, they're up high and out of the way.
But when needed, they'll be easily identifiable.
I gifted & installed a ClosetMaid rod and supports, as well as some fabulous nonslip hangers.
The basket on top ended up with camisoles neatly rolled in it, but would serve her well even if she decided to change the contents.
The big makeup case in the corner was her mother's so we tucked that and the christmas tree safely away beside the dryer. The tote on the bottom left are her husband's belongings, and the one on the bottom right is full of extra blankets. Then there's the giant duvet that just wouldn't cooperate. We had thought about shoving her into a vacuum bag, but it was close to being ridiculously cold outside, so we let her be ......for the time being........


                                             


I installed a little rack for belts, jewelry, bags, whatever she needed to put there.










I actually had fun doing this & it really just whet my appetite for helping people get their lives together. 😁





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Bathroom Organizing